Pioneer School, the oldest schoolhouse in Calaveras County, is located next door to Milfiori. This historic treasure was built in either 1853 or 1854 with donations from the community. It was first used as a public meeting place with classes beginning in 1856.
The school was dragged to its present site from Coyote Creek when gold was found in the creek. Mining was not allowed at the new location with one exception - part of the teacher's contract was an exclusive right to mine the site as a supplement to their salary. There is no record if they were successful.
Today, the building is again used as a public meeting place - the Douglas Flat Community Center - open to everyone in Calaveras County. The building is still maintained by volunteers.
The Center is available for community events and meetings. It has been used for artist workshops, church services, lecture series and weddings. There is a small fee for renting the building for private events.
For more information, call 209 728 9842.